Sunday, March 3, 2013

Por Avion

Hello, blog. It's been such a long time since I've used you for constructive purposes. I've got some new stuff to tell you, though. I hope you'll like it.

For Christmas, my mother-in-law gifted me the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I began reading it at the start of January, and it really got me interested in writing letters and sending mail through the post again (btw, still not halfway through the book). It's something that I've always enjoyed, although I sometimes would forget to mail things I've written. I've come across those letters over the years and hung on to them since I'm not sure what to do with them now! A brief summary:
January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name. - Random House 
So really, reading these fictional letters going between these people and learning what's gong on in their lives through them really got back into the "old way" of correspondence. January 1st, 2013, I reactivated my status on Postcrossing and retained 5 address to send postcards to. (prior to that, I only sent/received one postcard in 2008, when I first joined-HAH). I sent a total of 7 to postcrosser users that month and I also started writing to my friends and family back home in New Jersey. It's such a nice way to slow down and reconnect. The instant gratification of replies on the internet isn't there, which I'm enjoying.  Sometimes I feel like I've written letters in such a flurry one night and I'm ready to do it again the next day, but I don't know if I should write to the same people. When is often too often? I'm also afraid I'll forget what I had originally written about when (rather, IF) I get their reply. I'm used to having an email to refer back to what I had written.

Oh well. I'm still really enjoying myself. I just wish postage prices would go down instead of UP every year. Boo-urns! I remember when I first moved to Canada, US postage was $.96. Now it's up to $1.10. International is $1.85.. almost breaking the bank with that one, haha!

My biggest gripe about all of this, however, is just the lack of interesting stamp designs that Canada Post offers. To sum it up: they suck! I miss USPS postage designs very, very, very much. Regardless, I still spent $62 on their webstore yesterday haaaah. I hope they arrive soon.

So, if you want a letter or a postcard, let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment